This is my go to recipe for my Brownie cravings. It is a great way to use the sourdough starter discard when you feed your sourdough each week. These are very rich and fudgy, almost like a molten lava cake, which I LOVE. They make the perfect brownie for brownie sundaes since they stay a little fudgy after baking too.
PREP TIME:10 MINS
COOK TIME:28 MINS
TOTAL TIME:38 MINS
Sourdough brownies use a sourdough starter to add a little tanginess to every chocolatey, delicious bite!
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup sourdough starter
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9×9 pan with non-stick spray or parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place into a bowl.
- Slice the butter into smaller pieces and add to the chocolate. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir well and then microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir again and stir until all pieces are melted and the butter is incorporated.
- Add sugar to the chocolate and butter. Stir well.
- Add in vanilla, eggs, and pinch of salt. Stir until well incorporated.
- Add sourdough starter and stir by hand until smooth.
- Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-28 minutes or until an inserted toothpick is removed with a few crumbs but no wet batter. Do not overbake. (Every oven is different so start checking at 22 minutes just in case!)
I keep my sourdough starter in the refrigerator with a loose lid. This allows me to take a break from feeding it so often. Instead I can get away with feeding only once a week.
My little helper gets to stir every thing together , the hard part is keeping him from licking the spoon!